missiongal

Saturday, February 12, 2005

In Laws n lots of other stuff

Hi all

I feel like I have to apologise to you all for not adding any new posts for a while...

Work has been hetic and the wedding... well that's another story.

So where will I begin...

I have the mother-in- law from hell. Steve knows it too. He actually said the other day that he was embarraced by his family. His mother has been nothing but a Royal pain in the ass since we became engaged.. no even since before then.. since we started dating. For those other than Toasteroven (who I e-mail and knows a bit of stuff) I will endeavour to explain the situation in as few a words as possible.

I suppose it all began when she was a young girl and was an orphan. Ofcourse I didn't know her then but people have said to me that if you grow up in a hostile environment, you tend to become hostile..

Any way, Steve and I were going well and then we started to spend heaps of time with each other.. This annoyed my mother-in-law because we were'nt spending enough time with Steve's brother and sister... See,the three of them used to go to the pub every night and think it was all great to spend their week's earnings on grog. (if i sound sarcastic, I'm really not meaning to be but this is so frustrating to me that I'm not sure how to get it out any other way.)

So when we started spending time doing our own thing, she assumed it was my fault and thought I was trying to break up the family!... like Steve can't have a single thought in his head and it's not possible that he might actualy want to try and get away from the negative environment of the pub and actually start making a life for ourselves! (he is so stubborn and if you knew him you would know that he has many thoughts in his head and will not budge on most of them). So ofcouse my mother-in-law made it terribly hard for steve and I and she even tried to disown him.. well she actually did for 6 months..

I was standing about 6 feet from where steve was talking to her on the phone and I could hear her saying that if he insisted on moving in with me then he wasn't a Senescall (my new name when I get married), that he didn't have a family any longer and she didn't have a son named Stephen any longer... nice, huh?

What has confused me from the word go is that she claims to have a love of family and wants to keep the kids together (even to the extent of trying to create a business that they can all work in) but in the process pushes steve away with her bitterness.

So the day came to announce our engagement (which we put off cos of them) and ofcouse she wasn't impressed...

Then it was time to set the date of the wedding. Well, we were engaged in October 2003 and we set the date for 5th March 2005 so that everyone could get used to the thought of us being together...

There didn't seem to be too much flack because it was so far away... well can I say that to her it is still so far away. Yep, three weeks out and she has not shown any interest in the wedding yet and I don't expect that she will even go to any trouble to buy a new outfit..

Yes, what a contentious topic. The dress code for the wedding is black tie. We over stated on our invitations so that people in our families wouldn't turn up in jeans and thongs (all the rage out here at the moment). I asked her one afternoon if she wanted me to go with her to buy a new dress. She responded with a firm "no". I went on to say "well, how about a skirt or pant suit then?" She said "no". She went on and said [she would]"just wear one of [her] skirts and a top from [her] cupboard" .. AHhhhhhhhh

This is your son's wedding for the love of peat!!!! doesn't it mean anything to you you stupid woman????

Anyway, enough about her. There have been other dramas too. Steve's brother didn't turn up for his suit fitting and in-turn decided to lie about where he was. Steve challenged him on it and Mick (his brother) threw his hands up in the air and walked away from it and took his two kids with him. Steve is now down 1 best man and 2 page boys.

No problems, Steve shrugged it off.. There was still his best mate in Adelaide (Troy) to 'fill in'. Troy was all excited about being in a wedding and we said ok to his step-son being our new page boy ... two days ago we recieve a typed letter from Troy (obviously written by his fiance) to say that they would not be coming to the wedding... Steve is absolutely furious!!! (and so am I). He thinks it's a reflexion of him.. we all know that it's not but it doesn't change the way he feels... The feelings also come from the fact that the only person that has been truely a "best man" is my sister's partner, Ross. But Steve sees him as an extension of me and my family...

So we are three weeks out from the wedding with one groomsman, no page boy, a little fairy and a junior bridesmaid, two bridesmaids and a maid of honour!!

HELP!!!!

Take care all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home